Introduction

My name is Monica Aghadiuno and my candidate number is 9365. I am in Group 3 with Godgift Emesi (9044), Angela Chen (9025) and Thakshana Yogeswaran (9179). To see my work please use the following three labels on the right: 'A2 Research and Planning,' 'A2 Construction' and 'A2 Evaluation.'

Group 3 - Music Video

Group 3 - Digipak

Group 3 - Digipak
Our Digipack, top left - back, top right - front, bottom left - inside panel, bottom right - inside panel (CD)
This is a link to our website, click the image above to enter our site

Tuesday 6 October 2015

R+P Post 5: The Kind of Music Video That I Would Like to Make


My two favourite types of music video are performance and narrative and pure narrative.

Why I Like Narrative Music Videos



In these, stories are essentially being told, which have the potential to evoke emotion within the audience. I want to create powerful and relatable stories, conveying a mixture of emotions and portraying everyday life, so that the audience can relate. As I am obsessed with natural landscape scenes within music videos, I particularly like ones that feature this. I believe they offer utter escapism. A perfect example is 'Atlantis' by Seafret below. I could not have imagined a better video to a song I really like. It captures scenery beautifully; it is almost cinematic. 



Atlantis by Seafret

Oceans by Seafret
The music video to 'Oceans' also by Seafret is symbolic and the themes of strength, passion and being yourself are all expressed in it. The acting by professional actress Maisie Williams is phenomenal and we can all sympathise with her character. This is an example of a music video that tells a powerful and moving story. 

The GIFS below are from different parts of the 'Apollo' music video by Hardwell. The story idea is simple yet powerful: a boy wants to escape from his difficult home life into the beautiful and peaceful world outside. 





Why I Like Performance and Narrative Music Videos
Performance shots are essential in promoting our debut artist and his/her brand. The video and artist may also perhaps be more memorable if the artist is in it themselves. Most importantly, performances shots can display the charisma and personality of the artist in a positive light; a good method for attracting fans. I like the idea of performance scenes being accompanied with narrative scenes. I believe the narrative parts can give more meaning to the lyrics and compliment the song. It also makes it more interesting to watch.

Marvin Gaye - Charlie Puth ft Megan Trainor

I like how the narrative and performance take place in the same setting in this video; it is clever. The narrative is essentially people dancing and it really ties in with the lyrics. The narrative makes the video fun and interesting to watch, whereas the performance promotes the artist and what they can do. For example, Charlie Puth is an upcoming singer and we have found out that he can play the piano. 

Rachel Platten - Fight Song
I like the various locations where the performance shots take place, particularly the ones in scenic locations. I really like parts of the narrative where different people are shown, with different ethinicities and how the all represent the same idea of having strength. It is a very positive song, driven by both the narrative and the artist.

In 'What If' by Jason Derulo, I like how the artist himself is in narrative with his on screen partner. I have a real soft spot for cute love type scenes and I do not think it would be difficult to get an artist to act out these type of scenes. Furthermore, it is easy to understand these scenes in relation to the song as the key message is how much he loves her. Here are example clips of narrative and performance shots in the video:


Genre
Indie Genres: I would particularly like to make a video to an indie genre as I love the sound and feel of the songs, and how there is a lot that you could do with the songs.For example, as there are often instruments, it means we can add band shots but as there are also normally quite deep lyrics, it means we can have a narrative as well.

Example - Arbella by Arctic Monkeys


There is a lot going on here and the handheld camera adds to this busy atmosphere. I mainly like the way the video goes from the narrative to the performance shots of the band. I also like the close ups of the instrument.

R&B: I like the emotion portrayed in these videos and the fact that they are often simple but also powerful because of the themes of love. I also like the beat to these songs, which often leads to dancing in the music video.

Example -  Burn by Usher

The strong emotion conveyed by the lyrics is clearly represented through the fire imagery. Also the narrative demonstrates the passion of the artist. The dancing is also a good aspect as it adds to the idea of releasing emotions and compliments the beat and vibe of the song.





No comments:

Post a Comment